Thursday, April 11, 2013

Interior Design = Interior Decorating WRONG!!!



If interior design can be compared to interior decorating then I can compare a pilot to a surgeon or a pineapple to a strawberry. Personally it never crossed to camper those examples the only way I can group the pineapple and strawberry is through them both being fruit and delicious.  As an interior design student it mentally destroys me when I tell my friends or family what I’m studying to be the two responses I get are “OH, I didn’t know you have to attend school to pick color swatches?’ and “That’s amazing , over the weekend you can help me arrange my furniture and buy new table cloth” Finally I decide to see how interior design is define online, “the art or process of designing the interior decorations of a room or building” (“Google Dictionary,”) that is how the internet sees interior design. The only part these two careers have in common is working on an interior space, for example the fruits I mentioned are sometime a great combination the same goes for interior design and decorating. When working on a project a designer is more like an interior architect creating a better space to enhance the quality of the client when a decorator picks up where design leaves to make a space more comfortable and homey. Another way to look at these careers is as imagining a building is a human body, an architect creates the skeleton then an interior designer creates the functioning guts or organs the final person to step in is a decorator the color of the organs and the arrangement to make the body function even better.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the imagery you created with your description of interior design. I don't think people talk enough about the amount of trust people but into a designer. A decorator simply does not have the credentials worthy of trust. An designer decorates among all the other qualifiers but a decorator cannot design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included the 5 key elements. I also enjoyed your visualization with how a space starts with "a simple box". Agreed with Lauren as well, I don't think people realize how much faith clients put in us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Melissa said, “Love that you put the 5 key elements in there”. Yes we are designer and our job is to create function for our customer and their needs. Sometimes people forget that. I believe because the media is always showing the final product of the work and does not put their time to show the great amount of process or investigation that goes into creating the perfect space.

    ReplyDelete